Is mortgage investment a PFIC?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

zanefx

Is mortgage investment a PFIC?

Post by zanefx »

I am a dual Canadian/US citizen. I lived in US for 33 years but moved back to Canada last year. I transferred $$ from US to Canada that I would like to invest rather than buy real estate. I understand that investing in PFICs (Passive Foreign Investment) is strongly discouraged due to tax obligations and complicated (costly) tax schedule. Does anyone know whether or not a mortgage investment company such as Terrapin Mortgage Investment Corporation (http://www.tmic.ca) would be considered a PFIC? Can anyone recommend Canadian investments that would not be punitive to US/Canadian citizens living in Canada? I should mention that I am close to retirement age and not earning a great deal of income so starting an RRSP (retirement plan) wouldn't make sense because my funds earning practically nothing in a savings account far exceed what I can put in an RRSP.

Thanks!