Canadian PR working remotely for NY company

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hitman6267

Canadian PR working remotely for NY company

Post by hitman6267 »

I'm currently working in the US on a H1B. I'm moving soon to Toronto, Canada because I was awarded a permanent residency. My employer however wants me to continue working for them.

My employer wants me to come visit the office for a week every couple of months. My research showed me that I can't do that on a H1B because it implies residency in the US. I've read all the H1B threads on this forum and I saw that a B1 visa was recommended. However, on the US gov website it says that one is not allowed to work on a B1 visa. I'm going to tell my employer that I'm not going to visit the US, and would like to only work remotely from Canada.

I have a couple of questions:
- Should I just be self-employed or incorporate as an LLC ? The only benefit for an LLC that I could find online is that my bill to my employer would be zero rated HST and that would save me money on expenses.
- I'm curious what my tax would be in Canada so I checked at simpletax.ca/calculator . For $100K CAD it seems to be lower than what I get taxed in NYC for an equivalent USD amount. I thought Canada taxed more. Is there any obvious calculation mistakes I could be doing ?