Looking for Cross Border Financial Advisor

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mchuchra

Looking for Cross Border Financial Advisor

Post by mchuchra »

Hello Cross-border community,
I am an American living in Canada (~9 years now). I read postings on this message board with regard to many specific tactical issues (thanks to all, especially Nelsona), but often feel like I should get some help reviewing my overall situation (Canadian accounts, US accounts like 401k's, etc.). I am looking for sensible ways to leverage tax planning opportunities (e.g., saving for kid's future university expenses, retirement) and to understand what I will be eligible for from US Social Security and CPP in Canada when I retire in 5-10 years. I would prefer to be well positioned to stay in Canada or to exercise teh option to move back to US in the future.

So I am interested in finding an adviser knowledgeable on personal cross-border financial planning matters. I am not interested in handing over my whole portfolio for someone to "manage" and buy/sell investments on my behalf. Are there any reasonably priced (preferably the hourly fee type) advisers out there that can help clients who are a bit below the high net worth class of investors? If so, please suggest names of such individuals or companies. Thanks!
MCC