Moving to USA with an E2 Visa from Calgary.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dksaks

Moving to USA with an E2 Visa from Calgary.

Post by dksaks »

I will be moving to Seattle from Calgary and taking a position as a fulltime employee with my brothers company in Seattle. I have been given an E2 Visa.

My current employer in Calgary wants to have me continue my employment and manage the Western Territory from my home office in Seattle. I am needing to determine for tax purposes if it is best to stay as an "employee" with the canadian company or if I should become a "contractor". Since my residency will be in Seattle how will I be taxed for the canadian employment? I am needing to understand if it is worth continuing to be employed by the canadian employer as a result of what I would be paying in taxes.

Any advice or direction to where to learn the answers to the above question is very much appreciated!

Regards,
Dksaks