USA Company Pays Canadian Small Bussiness

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

liquidstring

USA Company Pays Canadian Small Bussiness

Post by liquidstring »

I own a sole proprietership named Liquid String(http://liquidstring.com/) in Canada. I was hired by a US company named Deep Blue Communications(http://www.deepbluecommunications.com) to do work for them in Canada. The work was performed at Canada’s Wonderland. We completed the installation of their WIFI Network. The work consisted of Programming, Project Management and Physical Installation.

The contract was supposed to be for 2 weeks. It has been cut short after one week, since they received enough help from us and are now able to finish their work with their salaried employees. They will be leaving Canada tomorrow and I would like to get a resolution by then. I apologize for the short notice, however I am hoping you will be able to find the time to help me.

They sent me a W-8BEN-E form, which I am attaching to this email.

I believe this form does not apply to me as we are doing a business to business transaction and the work is being done in Canada.

I will charge them HST and I will file the taxes at the end of the year.

I also believe that if there is anything to be filed out, it is to be filed out by them to the IRS.

I need a letter from a US-Canada tax professional stating the proper procedures in this case, which will comply with IRS and CRA regulations and will release the monies owed to Liquid String.

Please do not hesitate to contact me. I am available at your discretion in person or on the phone.

Please advise.

Thank You
Valentin Coman
valentin@liquidstring.com