US resident - CDN rental - depreciation of roof

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canuck_girl999

US resident - CDN rental - depreciation of roof

Post by canuck_girl999 »

I know that my rental real estate that I have in Canada must be depreciated over a 40 year schedule as apposed to usual 27.5 years on my US taxes.

However, for over items such as a new roof, a new furnace, etc. do I depreciate over 40 years as well or can I use the 27.5 years method.

Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Please consult the CCA rules from CRA.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
canuck_girl999

Post by canuck_girl999 »

Thanks for answering Nelson.

However, I'm referring to my US taxes not Canadian. Are you saying the answer lies in the CCA documentation?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry. Misunderstood.
I guess the simple (obvious) answer would be to Consult the IRS depreciation rules.

But to save you time, improvements are at the same rate as the property, in your case 40 yrs.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D