changing election on 8621 by filing amended return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nycanada

changing election on 8621 by filing amended return

Post by nycanada »

Hello,

Hello,
I have couple of general question related to 8621
1. In year 2014 I first time filed forms 8621 for the Canadian mutual funds I have for the last decade or so. I choose MTM since I did not have QEF statements available. Now I found that one of my Mutual fund providers (RBC) have these statements available also starting from year 2014.
I have pretty big losses (about$1000 for each fund I have mainly because of exchange rate) that I cannot write off with MTM election.
Is that possible to file an amended return for year 2014 to change an election to QEF from MTM? Since it has more fair treatment, I would hold these funds and not sell if I find it is not too complex to fill 8621 each year with this type of election.
2. With MTM election, is this possible to wipe off all the profit I make over the years since I cannot write off the full loss amount each year I have it?
3. If I sell some of my Canadian funds to make my total investment under $25K, considering that I filed 8621 earlier and made an election, do I still need to file 8621 each year or only at the time I sell it. There is a hope that by the time I sell it form 8621 will be simplified or eliminated for Canadian mutual funds.

Thank you a lot,
Regards,
Vad