How to Report RRIF/LIF conversions on US Form 8938

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rgiustini

How to Report RRIF/LIF conversions on US Form 8938

Post by rgiustini »

Hi, my wife and I are US residents / dual citizens and have each had an RRSP and a LIRA account at TD Direct Investing (four accounts in total) for many years. Last July, we converted these RRSP and a LIRA accounts to RRIF's and LIF's respectively. We did not receive any funds from either the old accounts or the new accounts last year.

I am now preparing our 2015 1040 returns and am unsure how to complete Form 8938. I assume we need to report all four "old" and four "new" accounts since each account had some balance during 2015. Each account is being reported in a Part VI continuation statement as an "Other Foreign Asset". Do we enter a date into either line 3a (date RRIF/LIF was "acquired" in 2015) or 3b (date RRSP/LIRA was "disposed of" in 2015), or do we leave these lines blank since these were all direct rollovers? If I enter dates in these cells, then Turbo Tax checks the part II line 3 "yes" box (were any foreign assets acquired or sold during the tax year?).

Also, I assume we check line 3d (no tax item reported in part III for this asset). Is this correct?

Thank you for your time.