Cdn gains and interest form to submit with 1040?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Joz

Cdn gains and interest form to submit with 1040?

Post by Joz »

We are two Canadians living in the US for about 6 years now (on a J-1 and -2), so we know we're "US people" for tax purposes. While we have American tax to be paid, we also have Canadian Capital Gains, Interest, and Dividends from our T5s. Which forms am I supposed to fill out for those to append to the 1040? There's Form 8938, the FBAR, and I'm pretty sure I found other potential candidates. Which one(s) do I use?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

IRS rarely requires documentation submission with 1040. nang on to your proof should they later ask for it.

But since you're now US tax residents, you should now (or alredy have) declare Cdn non-residency, no?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Joz

Post by Joz »

But don't I have to pay US tax on all foreign assets? Or at least report it?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I said nothing about US tax: you already said you knew this.

As to other forms, FBAR, FATCA and PFIC at a minimum, as well as 3520 if you have RESP or TFSA
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Happy browsing