CPP as SS in 1040 - efile

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canroc

CPP as SS in 1040 - efile

Post by canroc »

As a U.S. resident having received CPP income, I understand that I enter my CPP income in Form SSA-1099 Box 5 on the 1040 (using H&R Block tax return s/w). However is it necessary to send in a paper return with the NR4 form with the CPP income that was received from Service Canada or am I able to efile my return?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

IRS rarely wants to have any paperwork. You can e-file if otherwise eligible. If they want it later they will ask for it.

Remember too that although this CPP (and OAS) is not taxable in Canada, it is still considered foreign income, so you can include it on your 1116 gent limit, if you have other taxable Cdn income, like Cdn pension or RRSP income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D