Dual Citizen, CAN resident with US Source Income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ethanpurdy

Dual Citizen, CAN resident with US Source Income

Post by ethanpurdy »

I am a US/CAN dual citizen and reside in Canada. My tax situation otherwise isn't too complicated (few US investments and a few Canadian investments, no RRSP or TFSA, or other US investments, no mortgage, etc.).

This past year for work I had to travel to the US multiple times and it resulted in my being in the US ~50 days during the year. These trips were for business and thus my understand is income earned on those days are US source income. I am a bona fide Canadian residence and am eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (I think). I'm not sure if that matters for this income since it was not US foreign earned income.

I am unsure how to handle the US source income. On my US return do I list it as US income and then put it as foreign earned income on my Canadian return?

I have not had this additional complication when filing in the past so any guidance is greatly appreciated! Many thanks!