TN Visa mid November, Canada or US tax residency

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

DMCC

TN Visa mid November, Canada or US tax residency

Post by DMCC »

I began work in the US with the US Government in mid Nov 2015 with a three year TN visa. Job is for a three year period, but potentially renewable. I rent a US apartment, have a US driver's licence, and have a US SSN. However, I own a house in Canada, have a Canadian bank accounts and RRSPs, receive a Canadian military pension, and currently fully intend to return to Canada after the three year period.
For 2015, would I be considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes, and file a US 1040NR on just my US income? Or would I be a dual US/Canada resident for tax purposes? If I file Canadian income tax with a departure date of Nov 2015 (severing my ties to Canada), would that hurt my chances of renewing my TN visa at a later date if I decide to stay a bit longer than currently planned?

Lastly, I had been in the US for part of 2015 as Canadian military on a NATO 2 visa. Does that time count towards the US substantial presence test for 2015?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.