Canadian in US on TN with a plot twist

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ekgiles

Canadian in US on TN with a plot twist

Post by ekgiles »

Hi there!

I am a Canadian citizen, arrived in the USA (MA) during the first week of June, 2015 on a one year TN status "visa". I worked at one location all the way through to the end of 2015 (am still working there). I did not earn any other income in the USA or anywhere else in the world from my arrival date until now.

Plot twist is that I worked remotely for a US company from January-June (before I arrived). I did all of this work while physically present in Canada (never on USA soil), I signed a W8-BEN with the company, and they sent all my earnings directly to Canada without witholding tax. I will be filing this January-June remote income with Canada on my 2015 tax return. I will also be filing my June-December USA income with Canada hopefully using tax credits, as I will be filing as a resident and understand that I need to report wold-wide income.

My question is: how do I go about doing my USA taxes? I meet the substantial presence test for 2015, however I was only here for half the year. Do I file as a resident, non-resident, or dual? My TN company here has been witholding tax as if I am a resident for tax purposes. Also, do I report (on my USA tax return) the earnings that I made remotely before I arrived in the USA? Or does the W8-BEN mean that I don't need to worry about these earnings for my USA tax return and can just report them in Canada?

A bit about me in case it helps: I am filing as single, no dependents, no assets or anything fancy like that. I rent an apartment in the USA, have health coverage, USA bank and credit cards. In Canada I have credit cards, bank accounts just to pay bills, drivers license, health insurance, etc. I will be applying for a TN renewal this year for one more year, after which I will be going back to Canada.

Thank you for any and all of your help!