Canadian and new immigrant in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

john09

Canadian and new immigrant in US

Post by john09 »

Hello,

I have a question, i am canadian and moved to the US as new immigrant Green card in 2015 and its time to do my taxes in US for first time, my question is:
i dont have a W2 form since i didnt work in USA in 2015 although i worked in Canada for a couple months , how do i apply to IRS?
1) i havent filed taxes with the canadian TAX agency yet since i am not sure if i will or not, i know i can contact them somehow and change my status as non resident but i don't know if i do that whether i will still get any refund?
2) i didn't make a lot in canada last year, so i am wondering if there is any problem if i file online first in canada, see if i get any refund and then file in IRS as resident as well?
3) do i just consider the income i made in Canada as US income, do the currency equivalent and file to IRS based on that?

Thanks,