TN visa - Corp to corp

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

zoogeny

TN visa - Corp to corp

Post by zoogeny »

I have been working in the US on a TN for the last 2 years. However, during that time I was a W2 employee.

I have been offered a new TN with a new company on the stipulation that I set up a Canadian Corporation and we do it as corp-to-corp. I will be full-time in the US for at least 1 year. I've found it difficult to figure out what this will mean from a tax perspective.

Some questions I have are:
1. What type of Canadian Corp should I set up?
2. What filings do I have to do in Canada and the US from a corp and/or personal basis?
3. Will I be taxed 2 or more times? (e.g. once for the business then once for me personally)
4. What is the best way to get the money into my hands while I live in the US? (e.g. should I setup a US Business bank account for my Canadian business? Can I just use my personal US bank account to accept the funds?)
5. What additional filings do I have to do (e.g. form 5471)?

Any insight on these questions would be appreciated.