Canadian non-resident married to Canadian resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

fmincon

Canadian non-resident married to Canadian resident

Post by fmincon »

My wife and I got married in 2015. We are both Canadian citizens - however, I've declared non-residency since 2012 since I live and work in the States, while she's still filing Canadian taxes as a resident. She also works abroad (non-Canadian employer), but she is reluctant to give us her residency, as she might move back to Canada to work for year. We are in a long distance relationship.

I have a few concerns:

On the official government website (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cm ... y-eng.html), having a spouse in Canada is considered a significant tie. Does that mean the spouse has to be physically in Canada, or as long as he/she is considered a resident for tax purposes? I am worried if my non-residency status will be affected if she stays as a resident.

Does she have to report my income on her tax filings for 2015 and onwards while she's still a resident?