Not exactly a loop hole, but an opportunity to save taxes?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

LivingIt998

Not exactly a loop hole, but an opportunity to save taxes?

Post by LivingIt998 »

Here is my situation. I am a Canadian citizen that is incorporated and has an agreement with a US company to provide "IT services" for a set monthly amount in US dollars. I do all the work remotely from Canada and travel to the US client site once per month for "meetings" under a B2 Visa. I filled out a w8ben-e form to this US client, but they write a check to my name (not the company) every month. I opened a bank account with PNC bank as a non-resident and filled out a W8 form with them as well. I deposit those checks under that account and pull the money out in cash (under 10K) and bring it back home to Canada everytime I travel. I do this for the first 4-6 checks. Around the 7th check, I start depositing those checks from my client into my Canadian business account and now I have my first revenue checks. There is no invoice numbers on the checks so CRA won't know if it's the 1st or 7th check.

I don't know to what extent the IRS and CRA along with border services share information, but what are the potential implications of doing this? I know it's not by the book, but maybe it won't turn into a problem as it's still under the radar and not for an extended amount of time?