Need help with TN visa. Canada/US tax filing

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Canada06

Need help with TN visa. Canada/US tax filing

Post by Canada06 »

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen who is in US working on TN and living with my son from August 2015. My job is a contract job which will end in Dec 2016. My husband is working in Canada. I worked n Canada for 12 days in Jan and had gone for vacation until June 2015. Then at the end of July 2015, I came to US. I still have my Canadian DL , Canadian leased car, Canadian checkin RRSP & TFSA mutual funds and RESP accounts.? Now my questions are

1. What should I file in US? Do I need to get SSN for my son in order to get dependent tax benefit?
2. What should I file in Canada? How to claim daycare expenses of my son paid here in US in Canadian tax filing?
3. When I file Canadian taxes, is there anyway to file separately as I don't want my husband to know my US earnings because of some complications.
4. At this point I am not sure whether I will go back to Canada or continue to stay here after dec 2016. What to do with RRSP & TFSA mutual funds and RESP accounts.?
5. Also, I am thinking of buying a house here. Will it be a wise decision in terms of money savings.

Thank u.