Amending physical location of work on T4

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nomad

Amending physical location of work on T4

Post by nomad »

I emigrated from BC Canada to WA USA in 2015 (on a K1 visa) - I'm a Candian citizen and now US greencard holder.
I operated an incorporated consultancy in Canada consulting 100% remotely (for a UK company).

Upon arrival in the US in February 2015, I continued to work paying myself salary and remitting tax withholding as Canadian source income for the next 3 months.
(paying the money from/to my Canadian accounts.)

Now I'm completing the year end T4 summary and wondering if I can change my mind and have it treated as US sourced income instead?

There doesn't seem to be a form from the CRA, so it would just go in the T4 summary notes section that I withheld money I shouldn't have from an employee (me).
I would then request a refund from the corp. payroll account for tax and CPP, pay it to myself and report it as US source income instead.

Sounds plausible to me, but am I just asking for trouble messing with the CRA like this?