F1 to TN moving expense and foreign bank interest question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

meow

F1 to TN moving expense and foreign bank interest question

Post by meow »

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen studying in Wisconsin on F1 visa (Sept 2014 - May 2015). On 5/29/2015 I flew to Toronto (one way ticket from Wisconsin) $400, and I applied for TN on 5/31/2015 (one way ticket to Iowa) $350. Job starts 6/1/2015. But I stayed in hotel/Airbnb for a week until I found an apartment and moved in 6/5/2015. I only brought 1 suitcase with me. My relatives drove my furniture and belongings from Wisconsin to Iowa with their car before my rent lease ending end of July.

[b]Form 3903 - moving expense:
[/b]
I fulfill the location by 300 miles and will fulfill the 39 weeks criteria by end of Feb 2016. My company did give me a fixed relocation bonus, but the total amount is listed in Box 1 of my W2 (not in box12 with "P").
1. Can I claim my plane tickets as a deductible? $750. Although, this is not a straight line transportation from WI to IA, this is the shortest way I can find, since I have to fly out of US and come back in.
2. Pre-housing is not deductible, however, the instruction says I can claim one night lodging before moving. So can I claim one night of hotel expense. However, I booked a hotel every 2 days. Can I divide the 2 nights by half to make a one night expense?
3. If I cannot claim the previous two, can I claim 300 miles * gas price/mile?
4. Or can I claim all three of above?

[b]Foreign interest income
[/b]8938 - list all Canada bank interest (chequing, savings, deposit TFSA, GIC) in part I and fill out part V. I do not have stocks or mutual funds. I recommend people to close TFSA and consolidate bank accounts before coming to the US. It took me a couple of days to figure if I need to fill out the 3520-A.
1. Bank 1: I did not tell my bank to change my status to non-taxable resident until August. Would my bank interest from June to August be double taxed (US and Canada)?
2. Bank 2: I closed a Canadian account in August from another bank, and transferred all the money to my dad, which is not Canadian and not American. Do I need to list this on my 8938? I don't remember how much money I have in there, since I cannot access internet banking anymore.
3. Do I need to fill out schedule B? I don't have $1500 US interest income, but I have foreign interest income as mentioned above.

[b]Other forms I filled out as dual status alien:
[/b]1. 1040 : Include W2 wage of the entire year (not just W2 wage of when I am US resident) on line 7, foreign interest income on line 21
2. 1040NR-EZ, and Schedule OI as statement. Include US income (W2) of when I am on F1. (This portion is also listed in form 1040). Do not need to sign.
I find the word "statement" a little confusing when reading the instruction. University of Tennessee international service have detailed instructions on how to write 1040 & 1040NR for dual status alien.
3. 8843 (for F1 exemption)
4. Schedule A : state withholding on W2, donation, and car registration fee (both new registration and annual). Dual status alien are not eligible for standard deductible.