NonResident Tax on Dividends in RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cnytax

NonResident Tax on Dividends in RRSP

Post by cnytax »

I am a U.S. resident Green Card holder from Canada. I left my RRSP in Canada with TD Waterhouse.

For some strange reason, TD started applying the 15% NRT on dividends from a particular US stock I own in my RRSP (Medtronic - MDT). I have other US stocks and no NRT has ever been applied.

I phoned up TD and spoke with one of their representative. I was not able to get a straight answer. I mentioned US/Canada Tax Treaty etc but to no avail.

Before I escalate this, is there something I am missing? Are there particular US stocks for which NRT must be applied even though this is within an RRSP?

I've never heard of anything like this.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, this income is not to be subject to IRS tax.

there a re acoupel of threads on this here, with a reference or two.

If all else fails of course, you can claim the US tax on your US return along with all other US tax that was withheld, but it should not be comeing out of your RRSP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cnytax

Post by cnytax »

Ok, mystery solved.

In 2015, Medtronic moved it tax residency from the U.S. to Ireland. Thus,
the U.S. / Can Tax Treaty no longer applies.

Assuming that there may be an analogous tax treaty between Ireland and
Canada. Will try to get additional info on this.