USC "temp" Cdn Resident; cleaning up finances

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rancan

USC "temp" Cdn Resident; cleaning up finances

Post by rancan »

I'm a USC, CR from late 2014. Since my CR was/is temporary with just under 2 years left I didn't/haven't changed much with my US (Living Trust) and personal/joint accounts. With the additional tax/reporting rqmts, and since I will likely apply for an extension, it seems a good idea to "simplify" (accepting that it might have been better to so earlier in 2014 and many US Banks & Brokers don't/can't/shouldn't work with CRs - even if temp).

Any reason I shouldn't, or should do any of the following now?

- Transfer (and close) our remaining US personal joint bank accts to a cross-border bank like RBC or TD (sticking with USDs).

- Transfer my IRAs and Roths to a cross-border broker. BTW: Should I re-characterize any IRA to Roth conversions done in 2015 (if Roth conversions are a no-no while a CR)?

- If US brokers can't work-with or trade-for when the LT trustee is a CR (the LT still has its US address), either change trustee to a USC, USR relative, or transfer/close the US LT accounts to personal accts with cross-border banks/brokers.

Is there any CRA reporting rqmt for the LT even if I don't change trustee, or is listing it on my T1135 sufficient?

Best Regards to all.
knowledge helps