Incorported vs Sole Proprietor- Canadian working in USA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

PFR66

Incorported vs Sole Proprietor- Canadian working in USA

Post by PFR66 »

I have a question on being Incorporated vs Sole Proprietor……

I am a software consultant and I am incorporated, Ontario Canada. Just me as an employee. 40ish , single

I live in Ottawa Canada but travel to the USA from Monday to Thursdays . I do not have an address in the USA. Just work there in USA.

80% Revenue when I am in the USA and about 20% revenue working from home in Canada or other Canadian clients/customers.

Revenue/Sales = 250,000 Cad, will be even higher with the exchange this year and next year.

I am over the 183 day rule in the USA.

Based on my situation , is there a benefit to be still incorporated or should I go sole proprietorship? I remember reading your blog about being Incorporated vs Sole Proprietor and it may be better not to be incorporated if I remember the blog. I am trying to find it again to read it

I have to do 4 sets of taxes, 1 USA personal, 1 Can personal, 1 USA Foreign Corp, 1 Can Corp.

My understanding USA corp tax rate is higher in USA

Seems to me that it would be best to be sole proprietor. Less admin.

Any help would be appreciated .