capital gains distrib. on cdn mutual funds (pfic-MTM)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jenfin

capital gains distrib. on cdn mutual funds (pfic-MTM)

Post by jenfin »

I have finally got to the point that all my pfics are on a mtm basis for 2014. I just want to confirm I am handling the capital gains distributions (and dividends correctly) as I am not excited about the outcome.

Each year I set the opening adjusted cost to the market value at the previous yearend. I then add income AND capital gains distributions to the opening value at the same time reporting them as ordinary income on schedule B (rather than as capital gains distributions on D ).

In 2014 I had a few large capital gains distributions which resulted in a loss on a mtm basis. Since this was the first year they were on an MTM basis I have no unreversed inclusions to allow me to take advantage of the loss nor will I be able to use this loss to offset future gains.

TRUE? Also presume there are no excess distributions on income under MTM