LLC – incorporated in the US, located in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

akaltche

LLC – incorporated in the US, located in Canada

Post by akaltche »

I am a Canadian citizen and an Ontario resident. I am thinking about starting a small business (LLC) in buying some goods from US companies and re-selling (exporting) them to Eastern Europe. The goods will not be traveling to Canada; they will be shipped from the US directly to Eastern Europe.

Is it ok that my company will be incorporated in the US while physically located in Ontario? Is it ok to online incorporate my LLC in Delaware? Any suggestions on which online incorporation service to use? Alternatively, I can easily drive to Buffalo, NY and do it in person. Any tax complications? Will appreciate any advice and pointers to information to begin with.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Using an LLC is NOT a good idea because LLC's are considered by Canada to not qualify for Treaty benefits. Amongst other problems, this means that because "mind and management" are located in Canada (ie. you), the LLC will be considered to be resident in Canada for tax purposes, while also being resident in the US under US rules.

I would suggest either a regular C corp in the US or just a Canadian corporation. You can minimize any additional US corporate taxes on a C corp by reducing US net income with fees paid to you in Canada for services rendered, though you have to be reasonable. A Canadian corp would not even be considered resident in the US, the way you describe it. So, unless using a US entity is important for business reasons, why not just use a Canadian corp?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by akaltche</i>

I am a Canadian citizen and an Ontario resident. I am thinking about starting a small business (LLC) in buying some goods from US companies and re-selling (exporting) them to Eastern Europe. The goods will not be traveling to Canada; they will be shipped from the US directly to Eastern Europe.

Is it ok that my company will be incorporated in the US while physically located in Ontario? Is it ok to online incorporate my LLC in Delaware? Any suggestions on which online incorporation service to use? Alternatively, I can easily drive to Buffalo, NY and do it in person. Any tax complications? Will appreciate any advice and pointers to information to begin with.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

---------
Regards,

Carson Hirner
Moving2Canada

Re: LLC – incorporated in the US, located in Canada

Post by Moving2Canada »

Found this older thread, which is similar to my situation but also different...

Looking at opening a Canadian business (owned and operated in Canada), which would provide services to US clients. These are my options for seting up the business:

1) Set up a Canadian Sole Proprietorship

2) Set up a Canadian Limited Corporation

3) Set up a US LLC (operated in Canada - from the thread, it doesn't seem this is necessary)

Aside from the limitation of liability, which offers the best tax advantages in Canada and does it avoid double taxation?

Thank you!