8891 Never Filed

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not very good news. generally, the IRS accepts such back-filing. I do not know why they would not in your case.

However, I would point out that for 2001,2 and 3, you probably should not have used form 8891, but rather a free-from statemnet which would comply with Rev proc 2002-23. That may be the issue here.

By the way, rev proc 2002-23, allowed for back filing of the election, so I do not know why they would say that the election must now be 'timely.'

The only year in which it was VERY importnat to file the statement in a timely fashion was 2003, as that was the year that they started tying RRSPs to the foreign trust reporting rules (Form 3520).

You might want to dig out a copy of Rev Proc 2002-23, and go to http://www.canadatotwincities.com/rrsp.html for some examples on filing these.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
icbusiness

Post by icbusiness »

When you provide the Balancr at Dec 31 - do you convert RRSP year end balance with avg exhange rate for the year OR rate for the end of December
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

How's your packing coming?

The year-end balance is expressed in year-end US$, thus last day exchange rate.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D