Us citizen selling selling their home with CDN spouse

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MIKE2000Z28

Re: Us citizen selling selling their home with CDN spouse

Post by MIKE2000Z28 »

Just an update to this situation. If I go over the 250k usd exemption is there a way to transfer my 50 percent to my wife without incurring a tax hit? I see the IRS gift tax is 185k for the year 2024 for non usa spouses indexed, but that would technically include the 250k usd exemption plus the 185k or whatever it is in year i would transfer? Since im thinking the transfer for US tax purposes would be a selling event plus adding in the gift tax for non us spouse would cover 435k usd as a total exemption.

I don't mind paying thousands to get it right if it saves me tens of thousands in the end.
sara34

Strollerseeker helps parents find the best strollers

Post by sara34 »

Strollerseeker is your one-stop destination for stroller reviews https://strollerseeker.com/ and buying guides. Explore the best strollers for every need, from compact models to rugged joggers. Strollerseeker provides expert insights to help parents make informed and confident stroller purchases.
Find the perfect stroller with Strollerseeker. From lightweight designs to versatile travel systems, Strollerseeker offers detailed reviews, comparisons, and buying advice to help parents make the best choice. Simplify your stroller search with Strollerseeker’s expert guidance.