Can a non-resident Canadian corporation use US-Canada treaty provisions to reduce branch tax(1120-F) in the US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

iht

Can a non-resident Canadian corporation use US-Canada treaty provisions to reduce branch tax(1120-F) in the US

Post by iht »

My wife and I (100% owners of the Canadian corporation) moved to the US on E-1 owner/principal trader via in 2022 thus making our Canadian corporation a non-resident for Canadian tax purposes. However, business continues between our Canadian corporation (which we have to maintain for ever to adhere E-1 visa rules) and our US clients via sub-contractors working out of Canada. We do not work for our Canadian corporation.

Now, is our Canadian corporation considered a resident of the US for Canadian taxation purposes. If so, while filing the T2 tax return for our Canadian corporation with CRA as a non-resident, do I file schedule 20 - Branch Tax at all?

While filing 1120-F with IRS for our Canadian corporation (since we have a PE in the US due to us living in the US) can I elect for the US-Canada tax treaty provision [1.884-1(g)(4)(iv)B] to get a tax exemption of branch tax on the first CAD 500,000 (lifetime) of profit or reduce the branch tax from 30% to 10% even though our Canadian corporation is not a resident of Canada?