Liquidation - US Domestic Corporation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Domeani

Liquidation - US Domestic Corporation

Post by Domeani »

On page of - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p515.pdf - it says:
Domestic corporations. A domestic corporation must withhold tax on the fair market value of the property distributed to a foreign
shareholder if:
• The shareholder's interest in the corporation is a U.S. real property interest, and
• The property distributed is either in redemption of stock or in liquidation of the corporation. The corporation must generally withhold 15% of the amount realized by a foreign person.

Question:
For a Canadian citizen and resident does filing a W-8BEN avoid this 15% withholding? I find it hard to read https://www.irs.gov/businesses/internat ... -documents to find an answer. If not, is any of this withholding recoverable from the IRS?
Domeani

Re: Liquidation - US Domestic Corporation

Post by Domeani »

I believe I have misinterpreted Publication 515. That section I quoted is related to [i]U.S. Real Property Interest[/i] on pg 48. The US domestic corporation in question has no real property (real estate) interest, it is a software company that is liquidating. Thus I'd think liquidation, and distribution, incurs no withholding tax. Similar to selling a US publicly traded stock (ie. there is no withholding on proceeds of disposition). I don't believe there is even a requirement to file a W-8BEN. Happy to be corrected/informed. Thank you.
Domeani

Post by Domeani »

Further info on this liquidation. It sounds like it will be paid three dividends over three years. So I do have to file a W-8BEN.

For a Canadian citizen and resident with both an SSN and SIN, which is used in the W-8BEN? Does it even matter? Should there only be one tax number included on the form? I don't find the IRS instructions crystal clear.

If a private US corporation is liquidating by providing dividend payments over time (from an asset sale that get paid over time) do they withhold taxes just like a US stock in an unregistered Canadian brokerage account? Without the W-8BEN one pays 30% FWT, and with 15% FWT.
Domeani

Post by Domeani »

I was able to discover that the liquidation event over time was not equivalent to being paid dividends, which makes sense. It is a gain (or loss) of liquidation proceeds vs. adjusted cost basis of stock ownership. I post in case someone else ends up in a similar situation.