Filing joint return with non-resident alien spouse

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

panek

Filing joint return with non-resident alien spouse

Post by panek »

Hi there,

I am trying to file a joint return with my wife who was a U.S. non-resident for part of 2016. I was a U.S. resident for the full year. I would like to treat her as a U.S. resident for the full year to simplify our return.

My understanding is I attach a signed statement to my return stating that we both intend to file as residents for the entire tax year.

My questions:
1. How do I report her income? Do I file this as foreign earned income?
2. Do I also file her income as regular business income (but she has no 1099 etc.)?
3. How do I deduct her business expenses?

She was unemployed while in the U.S. but was self-employed for the first part of the year while in Canada. She has a small gross profit after deducting expenses.

Thank you!
panek

Post by panek »

I should clarify that my wife actually was a resident alien in 2016 so it's not clear whether the declaration is necessary (it seems that only applies to non-resident spouses).
panek

Post by panek »

[quote="panek"]I should clarify that my wife actually was a resident alien in 2016 so it's not clear whether the declaration is necessary (it seems that only applies to non-resident spouses).[/quote]

Nevermind, it seems that the same applies to dual-status aliens married to residents/citizens so I will need to declare.
panek

Re: Filing joint return with non-resident alien spouse

Post by panek »

[quote="panek"]Hi there,

I am trying to file a joint return with my wife who was a U.S. non-resident for part of 2016. I was a U.S. resident for the full year. I would like to treat her as a U.S. resident for the full year to simplify our return.

My understanding is I attach a signed statement to my return stating that we both intend to file as residents for the entire tax year.

My questions:
1. How do I report her income? Do I file this as foreign earned income?
2. Do I also file her income as regular business income (but she has no 1099 etc.)?
3. How do I deduct her business expenses?

She was unemployed while in the U.S. but was self-employed for the first part of the year while in Canada. She has a small gross profit after deducting expenses.

Thank you![/quote]

And is she eligible for foreign earned income exclusion?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes.
Stop using quotes, please.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
panek

Post by panek »

Sorry about the quotes.

Nelson, can you clarify your answer?

I spoke with an IRS agent and they told me that I should report her business income normally as I would if she had earned the income in the U.S. (using Schedule C).

Is that correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

She reports the income as the agent said (but didn't give you full information, of course). You asked about using foreign earned income exclusion. It is foreign earned income that can be excluded, by using 2555.

It still first has to be reported as income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

And I wouldn't bother with the statement mentioned in Pub 519. Simply file jointly.
panek

Post by panek »

Thanks as always Nelson.

Is there a reason you suggest not submitting the statement? Not submitting would allow me to e-file but I want to make sure it wouldn't cause any delays.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There will not be any delays due to this. Your spouse is a Cdn citizen/resident, and, as such she is always allowed to file a 1040. So joining you on your 1040 is allowed.

If there are delays it will be due to (a) not having her ITIN or (b) waiting until April to file.
panek

Post by panek »

Okay great -- thanks again. We got her a SSN since she now has her EAD so that should be fine for filing.
panek

Post by panek »

Does it matter that her business has a Canadian address (since we're not filing the statement)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Matter for what?
panek

Post by panek »

Since we are filing as if she were a full-time U.S. resident does it look suspicious that her business is listed in Canada? I will not be filing for the foreign income exclusion so the IRS may wonder if she worked in the U.S. while she was not legally able to work in the U.S. The foreign earned income seems too complicated and she spent more time in the U.S. than in Canada so I cannot figure out how she is eligible.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Doesn't matter.
She can exclude the portion of earned income that occurred while she was resident of Canada, up until the period she moved to US.

I think you may be getting hung up on what the IRS telephlunkie said to you. She reports business income on schedule C as if she was a US resident, not as if she had earned the income in the US. Big difference. US residents can arne business income anywhere in the world. It is still reported on Sched C. and if it can be excluded by either test for form 2555 that use the exclusion.