T4RSP, NR4 and Election under Section 217

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

andcormon

T4RSP, NR4 and Election under Section 217

Post by andcormon »

Hello

Thank you for a very informative forum.

I am a US resident since 2006. I left Canada in 2006 and completed my final Canadian return for 2006. I have been filing joint 1040 forms with my husband and have submitted the 8891 and TDF forms for my Cdn. stuff.

I closed a small RRSP account for which I have now received the T4RSP and an NR4. I am including the T4RSP amount on our 1040. Can I claim the tax on 1116?

Does the NR4 go on the 1040? It's a very small amount.

I called Revenue Canada International Office who confused me even more. I naively asked the agent if I could put the T4RSP w/d under SEction 217, since I believe it says to qualify one has to be a non-resident for the entire year in which an RSP payment is made. She said that I had to be of retirement age, which I'm not.

Have I misread the posts here about being able to w/d upto $8,000 from an RRSP under Section 217 and not pay tax on it?

Also, she didn't know what I should do with the NR4.

So I am also completing my 2007 Cdn. non-resident return with only the T4RSP. It's very complicated for a simple RSP amount, so I used QuickTax to calculate my tax payable.

Thank you for any assistance. :)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Cra boob was wrong aboutr 217.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
andcormon

Quicktax vs Ufile as a non-resident

Post by andcormon »

Hello Nelson

I used QuickTax and Ufile to calculate my Cdn. return for the T4RSP I received as a non-resident. Each gave me different results for the same T4RSP, and I'm perplexed.

Their support phone lines aren't much help. Quicktax tells me I have to pay; Ufile tells me I get a refund. I tend to trust these software to calculate my taxes, but it seems as a non-resident, I'm posing a dilemma for them.

If I paid the balance, per QuickTax, would CRA correct my return and give back a refund? If I go the Ufile way, CRA might charge me interest if the return is wrong. Sigh!

What should I do? Of course calling the CRA International Office is not much help. Thanks so much.
andcormon

I think QuickTax is right

Post by andcormon »

I think QuickTax is the way to go. It wouldn't seem right for me to get a refund. I still don't understand why Ufile would calculate a refund for me.
gomurebab

Re: T4RSP, NR4 and Election under Section 217

Post by gomurebab »

You must take help from the QuickTax as they are working in the field. If you think that they are not providing any help then visit https://www.topreviewstars.com/college- ... rg-review/ they will help out you to get rid of this problem because they have a professional lawyers team,