Claiming FTC for IRA early withdrawal 10% penalty tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

patti

Claiming FTC for IRA early withdrawal 10% penalty tax

Post by patti »

I know from reading this forum that Canada now allows FTC for the 10% penalty tax when a resident withdraws funds early from an IRA. I am playing around with Ufile trying to figure out how much I would need to withdraw to get my average Cdn tax rate up to 25% and use the full US withholding (15% treaty rate + 10% penalty rate). But this is not so simple!

My problem is the mechanics of claiming that extra 10% tax. Ufile caps the FTC at normal 15% treaty rate on form 2209. Is there some other place on the return where the extra 10% credit gets entered or do I need to find a way to override this 15% limit imposed by the software to force it onto form 2209? (It seems a shame to do these calculations manually!)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Ufile has a problem as it limits ALL ftc to 15% when it is only supposed to limit interest dividends and royalties.

You need to override and file paper, or get ufile to fix it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
patti

Post by patti »

Interesting (and disappointing) that Ufile would put this restriction. Oh well. Thank you for confirming that the full 25% FTC should go on form 2209.

Do you know if there is any other Cdn tax software that does this correctly and allows users to claim the full 25% FTC as required?
rlb

Post by rlb »

TurboTax (Canada version) does not impose this restriction.
patti

Post by patti »

Thanks rlb!

Does anybody know about the free software makers such as StudioTax or TaxFreeway? (Hey, if I am going to switch next year, maybe I can save a few bucks!)