TN status and independent contractor

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

panek

TN status and independent contractor

Post by panek »

Hi all,

I am currently in the US on a full-time TN visa. I have the opportunity to work part-time as an independent contractor (scientist) for a US medical company. In this regard, I have a few questions:

Does the TN letter need to state specifically that I will be an "independent contractor"?

It currently states that I have been offered employment as a "consultant" in my field for 1 year part-time at a rate of $X/hr and will not receive company benefits. Nowhere does it state that I will be an independent contractor or what my weekly hours will be like (they will vary depending on the work). Can only management consultants be independent contractors? I assumed the letter was fine as written but am now wondering whether it needs to state specifically that I will be an "independent contractor" since I will not be an employee of the company and will not fill out (nor will the employer) an I-9. Will this cause confusion or denial at the border?

Since I will not fill an I-9, how do I report this income on my taxes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

already answered on TN forum you posted on.

This is not a tax issue, so should not be posted here. There is a separate immigration forum on this site if you need more information.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you live in US, you will report this as self-employment income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
panek

Post by panek »

[quote="nelsona"]already answered on TN forum you posted on.

This is not a tax issue, so should not be posted here. There is a separate immigration forum on this site if you need more information.[/quote]

My mistake. Just saw your reply on the other forum. Have to figure this out ASAP so was worried I wouldn't get a response. Thanks again nelson!