Is quiet disclosure still recommended?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

oldgringo

Is quiet disclosure still recommended?

Post by oldgringo »

I know quiet disclosure was recommended here in the past...has anything changed with that method of getting compliant? I have a friend that is a U.S. Canadian dual and has lived in Canada since the age of 9...She wants to get compliant so that She can renounce next year.She has not worked in the last 10 years but does have a spousal rrsp and joint accounts with her Canadian husband....I told her to back file 6 years of 1040's and 6 years of FBARS with cover letters explaining why she hasn't filed.
A couple of questions please.
1.is back filing 6 years good advice?
2. does she need to get a SSN ?
3.with FBARS going to electronic filing can she still send in 6 years with a cover letter by mail?
If this is bad advice from me to her ...any other suggestions would be appreciated.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

You are better off to file something than to not file especially if its not taxable. You can file without a SSN number they will eventually ask for it however and you can apply for one in the meantime. As for the FBAR online filing for this year its required but for back filing you can still send it in by paper.
JG
Riven

Post by Riven »

Why not use the Streamlined Procedure? I assume as a dual national and resident of Canada since the age of 9, she would qualify. Also, she would clearly fall into the low risk group. This only involves 3 years of filing and provides a better way of dealing with RRSP issues.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would be using streamlined process whenver possible.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Quiet disclosure of RRSPs is no longer possible.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
oldgringo

Post by oldgringo »

Thank you very much for the replies....I'm passing this info off to my friend.
Nelsona...thank you for your help you were a Godsend to us in our time of need!