Gift Tax Exemption

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

But a spouse is a cuurrent spouse. English is my first language.

So it is spouse OR former spouse.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, to recap, our posrter, for cdn tax purposes MUST elect a disposition upon transfer to his spouse -- his current live spouse -- , or his transfer is tax deferred.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Yes, I agree but remember if for gift tax he has to use FMW and use up his unified tax credit then he should elect under sec 69 the general provision for gift tax at FMW in Canada too and use up his cap gains exemption so the wife gets the bump up in ACB.
JG
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Exactly.
mtnman

Post by mtnman »

phew....what a discusion !

I think I got it.....thanks so much to both of you.