Do I need to file in Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rx81

Do I need to file in Canada?

Post by rx81 »

I'm currently on an L1 visa in the US and have been for almost 2 years and my wife in on L2. We're both Canadian citizens. We filed taxes in US first last year (1040NR since I worked in both countries and was a non resident in the US) and then filed our return with CRA showing US income as foreign income.

Throughout 2011, we were in the US and only went back to Canada for one week to visit family, while I was still employed my full time job in the US.

[u]Questions [/u]
Do we need to file 2011 return in Canada given that we were US residents throughout the year?

If we switch our statuses to TN, do I need to continue filing in Canada for each of the proceeding years?

[u]Additional Information that may be of use[/u]
[list=]We do not own any property in Canada
We do have RRSPs in Canada but have not changed our investment mix or taken any money out in any way and do not anticipate touching this for the next atleast 30 years
We do have bank accounts and other investments (savings accounts, LIRA, stocks and mutual funds) in Canada but again do not really touch the investments as they are long term investments.
We have no kids at this time.[/list]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should have filed a departure return in 2010. go back and fix that, and do not file 2011 return in canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D