Another RSP Question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

magicaldeck

Post by magicaldeck »

Do I need to file an amendment for each year from 2003 onward (I think that was the first year the law took effect)? Also, do I need to send a copy of the FBAR, 8891 and 1040X forms to Sacramento as well?
------
Always file your taxes!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

FBAR goes to detroit only
For california, you need to follw the rules for amending a return in your state, which you can find out yourself.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ianogilvie@bellsouth.net

Post by ianogilvie@bellsouth.net »

[quote="nelsona"]You need to first determine the value of the RRSP when he arrived in US...[/quote]

I too am in the position of having neglected the reporting requirement on a small RRSP, and am following the procedure you identified in your post, to make good on my filing requirements. However, I do not see where to identify the value of the RRSP when I entered the U.S. I have prepared 8891's to 2005 and elected to defer on the first one. Is that where I need to put the original (year 2000) value?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The rev proc that spawned 8891 does not ask for "beginning value", thus uit doesn't go anywhere on the form.

The older rev proc 89-45 required this, but no more.

It is up to you to determine your cost basis in your RRSP, and track this in your records.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
walsh

Reporting past year RRSP

Post by walsh »

Magicaldeck:
Any update on your California RRSP backfiling situation?
walsh

Amend california return

Post by walsh »

For not including RRSP in California. How far back one has to file 540X? All the way back to 2003?