DPSP and income tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Confused

DPSP and income tax

Post by Confused »

I just realized after the facts that one of my RRSPs was a DPSP. My employer contributed 1.5 % of my salary while I was in Canada. I received a T4A from CRA upon withdrawal. I withdrew it 6 days after I became a US resident. Now I need to amend my tax return.
Is it taxed the same way as an RRSP in the US? Do I indicate that it is a DPSP on my tax return?

Thanks in advance for your help!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This 100% taxable in US and canada.
In canada it will be flat taxed (25%), so should not go on your return.

It is pension income, not RRSP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Confused

Post by Confused »

That's not good for me... Do I use forms 8891 and 1116 to report it?
If I have to use form 8891, then the total of distributions would be taxable on 7b?
Thanks again for your help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You use 1040 to report it. Its a pension, not an RRSP. You use 1116 to get credit for the Cdn tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Confused

Post by Confused »

Thank you so much. I appreciate all your help.