Non-Resident Taught Online in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hascan

Non-Resident Taught Online in Canada

Post by hascan »

Hello
I am a Canadian living and working in USA. Over the summer last year, I taught an online course for a Canadian university. I received my T-4 for the work that I have done and filed my Canadian taxes as a non-resident. I am going to get back the income taxes withheld.
Currently I am filing my federal (IRS) return. I entered line 14 of my T-4 as a foreign earned income after adjusting it using the average exchange rate for 2011. Also since I didn't leave the US to teach in Canada, I am not able to exclude this income using form 2055.
I wonder if I am doing everything right?

Thank you.

Stefan
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Form 2555 asks if you meet the eligibility requirements if you are in the US seems to me you do not then you have to use the form 1116 FTC
JG
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Even if you had left US to teach this course, it would not have qualified for 2555 treatment, since you didn't move from US, which is the first criteria.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hascan

Post by hascan »

Thank you guys. That makes me pay higher taxes to USA as it adds on top of my US salary.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. That is how foreign income and tax credits are designed to work.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D