US Social Security Disability Benefits for Canadian Resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dw

US Social Security Disability Benefits for Canadian Resident

Post by dw »

I am a resident of Canada and just started receiving US Social Security disability benefits. I am under the age of 65. Are my benefits taxable in Canada? I found an archived publication which states this benefit is not taxable but is this interpretration still valid? It is publication: IT-122R2 United States social security taxes and benefits.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Up until age 65, these are not taxable. IT-122 is pretty much obsolete, but the principal that disability payments are not income until age 65 , when they become regular SS payments, is still valid.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dw

Post by dw »

thanks for the help!
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

While it may sometimes seem as though Social Security benefits do not amount to very much and the program could run aground at any time, don't despair. There are a few little-known Social Security benefits and factoids that can make the most careful consumer happy. The only way to discover them is by doing the research yourself, and not waiting for Social Security Administration to expose useful information. You may also read further: https://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyb ... fits-tips/
blairgoates

Post by blairgoates »

Extending this a bit further...If you are a U.S citizen residing in Canada, under age 65 and receiving social security disability benefit as your only income.....is it still necessary to file a U.S tax return ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I never recommend USC's living in canada not file, since there are so many other reporting requirements, but froma strictly incoem point of view, no.

This would assume no interest is being paid, no RRSP, etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D