US tax delinquency: do I need to file?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

spock

US tax delinquency: do I need to file?

Post by spock »

Born in Canada, one US parent. If I got my passport and social security in the beginning of 2009, but my gross income for 2009 and 2010 was under $5000 (so I didn't need to file a US tax return). So, do I need to file US tax returns for the years before I had formally applied for citizenship? Secondly, I've never filed an FBAR, because I didn't think I ever had to file a US tax return until now. How many years back do I need to file FBARs for? 6? or just 2009 and 2010?

Thanks for any help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You have always been a US citizen, and thus you shoukld file 3 years back, regardless of when you got a passport. you did not apply for citizenship, you applied for a passport.

If you are required to file FBAR (access to fianacial accounts that in total had >10K in assets at any time), then you should back file these alone for past 3 years.
Same if you ahd an RRSP for form 8891.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
spock

Post by spock »

So back three years for returns means only the years that I had more than the minimum amount of income required to file, i.e., only 2008, is that correct? Or do I need to file 2009 and 2010 even if my income was below the filing requirements?

thanks again nelson for the prompt reply
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'm of the opinion, that if you need to check any box 'yes' on the bottom of schedule B, you should be filing 1040 for that year, regradless of how little your income is.

that means if you have ANY foreign interest income, or if you have RRSP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
spock

Post by spock »

I didn't have any interest income in 2009 and 2010 - and my RRSP value in those years was only $6 because i withdrew money under the life long learning plan (basically set up the rrsp at the end of the year in 2008 and withdrew the money almost immediately in 2009 for my tuition... would i still need to file a return for 2009 and 2010 if the rrsp amount was so negligible?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why not. Get into the practice.
spock

Post by spock »

main reason is accounting fees...'practice' doesn't justify hiring someone to do 3 yrs of returns if they're not all necessary...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why would you hire an accountant to do a $5000 1040?

If you reeally can't do it, have one return done (the 2008 one, for example), then just follow as a template.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Besides, in 2009 you made a substantial withdrawl from your RRSP, this needs to be reported. The penalty for not reporting it (8891) would be based on its highest value that year, and if you don't elect to defer taxation, it is considered income.
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

it is practice of your obligation. so if you have done one year, you can do the following years easily.

the first year is very important as it is your template, all the error/mistake will be replicated
nanic

Post by nanic »

Go to the TurboTax website (the US site). You can download previous years tax software for free. The software will walk you through the process.
spock

Post by spock »

Thanks for the feedback. regarding the turbotax site, do I need a tax id number from the irs to efile?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You would not be able to e-file for the current year (not past years), until you file your first paper return. that would be the case even if you lived in US and you had your SSN.

You need to apply for SSN firdt even before you renounce; I think once you realize the work involved just to be able to renounce, you won't think filing every year to keep citizenship will be a big deal.
spock

Post by spock »

I have an sun and have no interest in renouncing. I am unclear whether or not I am eligible to efile for 2008, 2009 and 2010.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry, getting this thread mixed with other.

You are not eligible to e-file until you paper file the previous years. and. like caada, you can only e-file current year during a specific period, which has likely lapsed.

So, the earliest you will be able to e-file is proabaly the 2012 tax year.