US citizen who owns a RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Peersd

US citizen who owns a RRSP

Post by Peersd »

I have lived in the US for over 20 years and though born in Canada, I am now an American. I have a RRSP account which I started as a young adult in Canada. I have not added or taken anything out of it since I moved to the US in late 80's. I left it in Canada and it has grown and is worth about $100,000
now. I have never filed an 8891 but have files the TD 90.22 for a number of years. What should I do now? Should I just start to file the 8891's a long with the TD 90.22 forms?
I have found it difficult to find any information regarding this in the US?
Thank you for any advice on this issue.
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

good you have filed FBAR. Remember FBAR has 6 years of statute limitation for civil penalty. Is your "a number of years" 6 ? I also assume that you list your RRSP in TD 90-22 form.

You need to make it up in case you want to file amend (f1040x plus f8891).
Peersd

Post by Peersd »

Yes I have listed the RRSP in the TD 90-22 as it is the only foriegn account we own. I have filed the TD 90-22 for atleast 6 years. So we will file amended 1040's for those years. Thank you
Peersd

Post by Peersd »

I am also wondering if my RRSP in Canada is held in mutual funds, will the IRS want to tax this as a "trust" in a foriegn country or an investment in a "passive foriegn investment company"? I am told these new rules may mean I get taxed at the 50% rate.
Thank you again.
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

i think f8891 takes care everything that includes tax deferral and distribution.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

RRSPs are specifically exempted from any of the PFIC requirements.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, backfiling 6 years of 8891's should do you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
shsamardar

Did USA CANADA tax treaty for RRSP accounts change in 2011?

Post by shsamardar »

Hi

I have a RRSP account within a a canadian firm that I had this since 7 years ago, that time I was living in Canada.
Since then, I am living in USA and they have my USA address.

Since 6 years ago that I moved to USA, I haven't done any transaction with account.

Suddenly I am receiving letter from them that they want to close my account and they say: it is due to legislative requirements in Canada and USA.

What should I do?

Thanks
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

I do not know what kind company your RRSP is in. Mine are with TD bank. It is okay to keep RRSP but not to switch funds once becoming a US resident (such as using a US address) although I wish I were forced to close it long time ago.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should move your account to a broker that has complied with US regs. TD waterhouse is the only discount vroker that I know of.

That doe not solve your US reporting requirements. have you been filing 8891 and FBAR every year?
shsamardar

Post by shsamardar »

thanks for reply

Yes, I was reporting foreign bank statement and other form you mentioned.