Declare US income on CAN return from before moving to CAN?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kev

Declare US income on CAN return from before moving to CAN?

Post by kev »

I am a US citizen. During Jan-Aug 2010, I was a resident of a third country (not US, not Canada), and worked for a US company remotely, receiving income from that company from Jan-Aug 2010.

In August 2010, I was transferred to the Canada office of the same US company. I began working at the Canada office in August 2010 and received income in Canada during Sept-Dec 2010. (I plan to remain in Canada on a temporary Work Permit and aspire to Permanent Residence.)

On my 2010 Canadian tax return, do I need to declare the Jan-Aug 2010 income from the US, which I received before becoming a resident of Canada?

Thank you!
Kevin
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

No you are only a resident of Canada when you arrived in Canada for Canadian tax return you only report income while you were resident of Canada and since this is employment income you take the exclusion fro this income off your 1040 since you are exempt in the US on employment income earned outside of teh US but you need to file to get this exclusion. There is a maximum amount its all on the form you will file in the US 1040.
JG
kev

Post by kev »

[quote="JGCA"]No you are only a resident of Canada when you arrived in Canada for Canadian tax return you only report income while you were resident of Canada [...].[/quote]

Ok, JGCA, thank you.

On my Canada tax return, I understand I won't report 2010 US employment income from before I became a Canadian resident in August, 2010.

I assume other types of income such as interest income from bank accounts and rental income from non-US, non-Canada rental properties also doesn't get reported on the Canada return if it is from the period in 2010 before I became a Canadian resident.

Thank you!
Kevin

P.S. As far as excluding the Canadian employment income on my US return (thank you for mentioning that) I made a separate post at [url]http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?t=4408[/url]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Non-Cdn income of any sort from before your arrival in canada is not reported on your Cdn "arrival" return.

ALL world income recieved after your arrival date must be reported on your Cdn return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D