FATCA - Which status

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tim1234

FATCA - Which status

Post by tim1234 »

I have found Toronto Dominion bank with the FFI listing. I am filling out the W-8BEN-E form and section 4 requires to know the status of institution. I have it down to 1 in 4 possible. I called the bank and they said they could not provide this information. How would I go about find out?
Tim Paupst
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why on earth would you be needing a W-8BEN-E? youare not an entity requiring this\. TD bank would be the one filing this form, not you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tim1234

Post by tim1234 »

Its sort of complicated, but I am the administrator of my mothers estate, which is considered an entity. Her estate is beneficiary to an Annuity held in america. I have spoken with the IRS a number of times and they have advised me on this. The estate was issued an EIN and Allstate normally requires a W-8BEN to be issued to the beneficiary, who would be an individual, but because it is an entity, a W-8BEN-E is required. I am really learning as I go. I contacted TD and they could not answer my question.
Tim Paupst
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Out of my paygrade, sorry.

My only question is that the W8-BEN-E is describes the estate as the beneficiary, and you are giving this to Allstate, wht is the involvement of TD? Are they recieving the proceeds from the annuity?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tim1234

Post by tim1234 »

That was my deduction when i was told I had to fill out the W-8BEN-E again, but I have just tonight spoken with the claims handler. The notes that were being given to me, by the agents I spoke with, were internal notes on the claim meant for thier tax dept. I had correctly filled out the form to begin with. The section i needed to fill out was in respect to the Tax Treaty between Canada and America.

I don't actually have to fill anything out in respect to the financial institution on that form, but yes the funds will be sent to the Estate account with TD, which I opened several weeks prior.

Thanks for responding to the question, but I guess it all worked out. The funds are being distributed starting tomorrow.
Tim Paupst