We need information from you to process your form W-7

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

taxiscomplicated

We need information from you to process your form W-7

Post by taxiscomplicated »

Hello all,

I was applying an ITIN for my Canadian spouse and i received this letter.

"We need information from you to process your form W-7"

I have already submitted the certified copy of the Canadian passport when i submitted the form W-7.

Now in this letter it mentions that we need to submit 2 documents to prove the identity and foreign status. If we are sending passport, then we don't need another document.

Of course we are not going to submit the original passport. So what can we submit together with the certified copy of the passport?
taxiscomplicated

It is exactly this letter.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/notices/cp566_english.pdf

I am thinking of sending the certified copy of the passport. However how can i get a certified copy of a Canadian driver license?

*All documents must be original or certified copies from the agency that issued or
maintains the original records.
taxiscomplicated

And i found this excerpt from http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7/ch01.html#d0e226

"Proving your "foreign status" or “identity.â€￾ If you submit an original valid passport (or a certified copy from the issuing agency), you do not need to submit any other documents to prove your “foreign statusâ€￾ or “identity.â€￾"

I did submit the certified copy from the issuing agency.
Anyone else in the same boat as me????
taxiscomplicated

Any advice here?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Did you contact them at the number listed on the cp566?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
taxiscomplicated

i have not contacted them yet. I don't foresee any good outcome from calling them since i read that most of the time they don't know what they want...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It's a little differnt when you are calling witha specific issue that THEY have asked you to fix.

I agree that cold-calling an IRS telephlunkie with a complex question will usually get you farther from the answer than you started.

You have followed the directions and they ahve said it is not enough. So you need to have them tell you what the actual problem is, not justa form letter.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
taxiscomplicated

So i called them and they say that I have tick Box G Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa

I am filing 1040NR and my spouse is a Canadian resident. She does not hold any visa.

So what should i do next?

sigh..
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

YOU are the one holding the visa.

"Dependent/spouse [her]of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa [you].

Which box had you ticked?
taxiscomplicated

I ticked Box G and the operator was saying if you tick box A or G then they need the visa of the spouse....

I am holding the USA visa and my spouse does not have a visa and resides in Canada.

Is this correct or wrong?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You tell me. You never mentionned why you are requesting an ITIN.
What status do YOU have in US? Are you a resident alien (by number of days)? Are you filing a 1040 or a 1040NR.

She can get the dependent status for herself at the border if she is Cdn. Bx G presumes that she has at least visited US as your dependent.

If your spouse is not living or travelling to US, then I presume you are wanting to simply get the treaty benefit of the spousal exception, then you would have ticked 'e'
And if If it is simply to lower your US taxes, why bother, you will simply raise your Cdn tax.

Your prioblem has swung from passport copy to which is the correct box to tick.

if all else fails, pick H and explain that as she is allowed by treaty to be claimed as an exemption, regardless of entering US or not.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The real quaestion is whether it is worth spending any more time trying to get ITIN, if it is not benefittting you taxwise?
taxiscomplicated

im filing 1040NR.

with a dependant, i get 1000 back.

So what should is the treaty benefit that i should mention for Box E?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Box E is for 1040 filers, not 1040NR.

The $1000 less US tax goes to CRA due to lower foreign tax credit.

Is there a perticular reason, in 18 months that your spouse has not entered US?