RRSP reporting on tax and FBAR?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ronatusa

RRSP reporting on tax and FBAR?

Post by ronatusa »

Hello Pros ,

I have been looking around to find the answer and getting confused so looking for some guidance here.

I have RRSP saving account in Canada and wanted to know if this has to be reported in FBAR. It's a saving account so does a little interest earned also needs to be reported when filing taxes and where (if needed)?

Thanks in advance
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If your RRSP plus any other non-US accounts are valuesd more than 10K, then all your foreign accounts need to be reported in FBAR. if your foreign assets total more tna $100K, then your may have to file FATCA report.

The income generated internally in your RRSP is not taxable on 1040 until you take money OUT of your RRSP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ronatusa

Post by ronatusa »

Thanks Nelsona for the quick reply. If filing Jointly, the total asset should be $150 K to file FATCA report ?

Is "Maximum account value" end of the year value or Max value during the year?

Thanks again
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can read the the FATCA rules as easily as I can for your own situation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D