Non Resident Tax in RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cnytax

Non Resident Tax in RRSP

Post by cnytax »

My wife and I moved to the US from Canada several years ago but elected to keep our RRSP's in Canada with TD Waterhouse.

Yesterday I noticed that I had received a dividend payment from a US corporation in the RRSP but that a non-resident withholding tax of 20% had been withheld. This is the first time I have ever had non-resident witholding tax taken from an RRSP.

Has anybody ever seen this before?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The RRSP is not supposed to do this, nor tax supposed to be 20%, so something is fishy.
Contact the RRSP manager and ask.
Worse cmes to worse you can include it in your 1040 as tax paid, and shoul;d get a 1066 to that effect, but the correct solution is for the RRSP NOT to withhold this tax.

there are some old threads on this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You must be sure that TD has a W-9 on file for you.
cnytax

Post by cnytax »

Ok, thx.

I've been in the US for 8 years now and have always had US dividend stocks in my RRSP and have never had this problem before.

I called up TD to inquire and got an incoherant answer.

I'll verify the W-9.