Pension Plan Transfer to Locked-in RSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

victoriaguy

Pension Plan Transfer to Locked-in RSP

Post by victoriaguy »

Hi there,

Last year, I elected to transfer my Public Service Pension Plan to a Locked-in RRSP, and part of it was paid out as a cash payment, with tax withheld in Canada. I imagined it would be a simple lump sum tax situation, and the foreign tax credit would take care of it.

Now, as I read about lump sum payments, I see that applies only to "qualified" pension plans, and I'm not sure what that means. At any rate, even when I just put the whole cash distribution in as pension income, the foreign tax credit based on the withheld Cdn tax takes care of that, so I assume that's ok.

I also wonder about the portion that is transferred to the locked-in RSP. Is there a treaty provision that makes that tax exempt?

Thanks for any insights.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, only the portion you took out is taxable now. The rest will be taxable when you take it.
The income is general limit income for 1116 purposes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
victoriaguy

Post by victoriaguy »

Oh thank you nelsona. Do I have to report the transfer to the RSP anywhere, or just on my FBAR?

Now I would have thought the cash disbursement was passive income given its a pension, as I've seen the US treats pension income as "unearned". Out of curiosity, what makes it general income?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Because it isn't passive.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
newballance989

Post by newballance989 »

Zhaitan's immortal armies waves from the sea, eager for the damage of the five classes of Tyria: the asura, the violent class of feline warriors, the charr, the norn, the sylvari, towering shape shifters from the cold world, magical investor of great intellect small size, the humans, a arcane young class of visionary plant folk, a resilient one embattled.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.rsgoldmall.com/
victoriaguy

Post by victoriaguy »

Oops... is pension income always considered "general category"?

I guess I assumed passive meant unearned. Does "passive" category income refer to income from investments subject to the passive investment loss rules?

Thanks for the timely head shake. ;)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The definitions are available in the 1116 instructions