TurboTax Audit Defense

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cnytax

TurboTax Audit Defense

Post by cnytax »

TurboTax offers something called Audit Defense where it is claimed that the taxpayer would receive representation with the IRS in case of an audit. Any thoughts out there about whether something like that would actually useful in the cross border taxation world?

My first instinct is that it is probably worthless for crossborder situations given that most tax "experts" and preparers seem to know very little about this and I assume Audit Defense would be no different.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

any extra product that these companies provide is simply designed to be pure profit and is of no value.

They are wanting you to pay for "insurance" in case their software made a mistake. It doesn't cover anything.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
DaveM

Post by DaveM »

cnytax: 'My first instinct is that it is probably worthless for crossborder situations given that most tax "experts" and preparers seem to know very little about this and I assume Audit Defense would be no different.'

Trust your instinct. :) I wouldn't even be surprised if there is a 'small print' disclaimer that offshore/cross-border issues are not covered.
cnytax

Post by cnytax »

As I suspected. Thx.