NR4 - how to file for US taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sdee

NR4 - how to file for US taxes

Post by sdee »

I'm a US citizen living in the US. I had a Canadian relative who passed away last year and listed me as the beneficiary on their TFSA. It took the bank a few months to get their act together before issuing me the TFSA amount, so interest was gained during that time. I received a NR4 (CAD funds) and now have to amend my 2014 taxes. I understand the form 8891 has been removed and that I have to report it on my 1040. But honestly, I don't know which line or how to do that. I use an online tax program and was confused where to even begin. And is there a back up IRS form to explain that I don't have income from Canada, or does the NR4 tell them this? I don't want questions in the future. It shows income code 64. Sorry if this is a dumb question - I've never had to deal with cross border taxes before.